Little Miss G loves this pasta. She may only be 14 months old, but she's like her momma when it comes to liking pasta. This recipe makes a lot. Serve it to a crowd or make one and freeze one for later--that's what I do. Enjoy!
Miss G's Garlic, Chicken and Mushroom Bake
6 tablespoons butter
salt and (black or white) pepper
1 pound penne
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
8 garlic cloves, finely minced
6 cups whole milk
12-14 ounces white/cremini/baby portobello mushrooms (whatever you have on hand), trimmed and thinly sliced
1 cup shredded provolone
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan
1. Preheat oven to 400. Butter two 2-quart baking dishes. If you're going to freeze one, make sure you use a freezer proof container.
2. Cook pasta a minute or two short of al dente; drain pasta and set aside.
3. Season chicken with salt and pepper; place in a crock pot and cook on high for a few hours until done. Shred chicken and set aside.
4. Saute mushrooms in 1 Tbsp. olive oil until golden brown.
5. Melt butter over medium. Add flour and garlic; cook, whisking, 1 minute. While whisking constantly, gradually add milk; bring to a simmer. Keep whisking frequently as sauce thickens, about 1 minute more. Add mushrooms; cook 1 minute. Take the pan off the heat and and gradually stir in provolone, mozzarella, and 1/2 cup Parmesan.
6. Add chicken and pasta to pot; season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide pasta mixture between baking dishes. If freezing, place remaining Parmesan cheese in a baggie. If cooking, sprinkle on top.
7. Bake, uncovered, until top is golden and bubbling, about 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
To freeze, prepare through step 6 and then let pasta cool. Cover freezer proof container. Tape baggie of cheese to container. Freeze for up to 3 months--mark date on tape used to tape the baggie. To bake, preheat oven to 400. Place foil back on container (if the original lid is not over safe) and bake for about 1 1/2 hours. Remove foil/lid, stir pasta, and top with cheese. Return pan to oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until mixture is hot and bubbly throughout.