The second issue I experienced was the lack of delivery times available. After making my order and changing the address for delivery to my mother's home, there were no times available for two days! Now, I realize it was a holiday week, full of brilliant people (like me) avoiding the madness...but still...two days?! It will be interesting to see if the window of delivery options will open up as the holidays become a faded memory next week. If not, this service will definitely need to be something you plan ahead for before a need arises.
After ordering my groceries, changing the address, and finding an open delivery date/time, our family headed to Grandmothers for our holiday celebrations. During the two hour window that I had selected, the doorbell sounded and we received our groceries from a man dressed in a Safeway uniform (always nice if your order is placed at night). He carried them in and placed them on the counter as directed and left with a smile.
I think this service is fabulous for someone that has a difficult time getting out to shop due to age or with a busy schedule. It is easy to navigate on the website, moderately fast (taking me about -30 minutes total from start to finish to place my order), and lovely to be home while shopping!
If you place your order by tomorrow, December 31, you can take $15 off your order and get FREE shipping by using code CHEER at checkout! Can't place an order by tomorrow? No problem. Safeway is currently offering FREE delivery on your first order! Visit Safeway to start grocery shopping in a "hip" new way!
Key things to know before shopping on Safeway.com:
1. You will need to create an account – this was easy and very quick.
2. If you don’t have a Club Card the system is set up to allow you to take advantage of the Club Card deals by assigning you a virtual Club Card. Your personal Club Card is important though, because it holds the digital eCoupons you loaded.
3. When you check out you are given an estimated total. This is because it could be less if items are out of stock, produce, meat, fish or deli weighs slightly more/less than ordered.
4. You will need your credit card handy to pay at the end – they accept Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Discover and Debit Cards with the Visa or MasterCard logo. They do not accept gift cards as payment.
5. Safeway.com does not accept printed manufacturer or store coupons. You can, however, use digital eCoupons such as Cellfire, Shortcuts and P&G eSaver coupons that are loaded onto your Club Card.
6. There is a $50 minimum you need to meet, so take that into consideration when putting together your online shopping trip.
7. Through the checkout process you will select your order will be delivered window. You can chose between a 4-hour delivery window but they also have 2-hour time windows. Delivery can be scheduled between 10am and 9pm any day of the week. Deliveries are not made on holidays when the stores would normally be closed.
Keep in mind that you DO need to be home, or have someone 18 or over available to sign for the delivery. The driver will not leave the order if no one is home or if unable to get the proper signature. Keep in mind that if you are ordering alcohol someone over 21 must sign for the delivery.
8. You do not need to tip the driver.
WIN a $25 Safeway Gift Card!
In addition to giving us a gift card to try out this service, Safeway also gave us two $25 gift cards to give away! Every reader has FIVE methods available to enter this contest.
1. Leave a comment telling us what you would buy with the gift card!
2. "Like" Hip to Clip on Facebook. If you are a current follower, just let us know, that counts as well!
3.Subscribe to It's Hip to Clip Coupons daily email updates. You will get a verification email that you must click in order to activate. Current subscribers count!
4. Blog or Facebook linking our contest to your blog our facebook page. Then come back and leave a separate comment letting us know you’ve done so!
5. "Like" Safeway on Facebook.
Two prizes will be awarded.
Each prize will consist of a $25 Gift Cards to Safeway (The gift card is good at Safeway, Vons, Dominick’s, Genuardi’s, Pavillions or Carrs.)
This giveaway ends at 12:00 pm ET on Monday, January 24th and is open to all U.S. residents 18 years or older. We’ll use random.org to select the winning comment. Winner will be notified on our blog by noon on Tuesday. Winners must respond within 48 hours of notification to claim their prize. Good luck!
Safeway gave us gift cards to try this service out and provide a review. Safeway did not write or edit our review – all opinions are 100% ours. See our disclosure statement for more details.