Day 17: Robyn's Sugar Cookies
Robyn is a dear friend of ours. We LOVE her bunches, but we also really LOVE her sugar cookies. Try as I might I have never been able to make them the way she does. Some people just have that magic touch. These cookies are P-E-R-F-E-C-T for any time of year, but make especially SWEET Valentine treats. Thanks for letting us share your recipe, Robyn!
Robyn's Sugar Cookies
4 sticks butter, nice and soft
3 1/2 cups sugar
3 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream
7 1/2 - 8 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1. Cream the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until smooth.
2. Add the sour cream and mix until creamy looking.
3. Combine the dry ingredients (flour, salt & baking soda) and add half of the flour mixture at a time.
4. Stop mixing as soon as it is incorporated.
5. Refrigerate cookie dough for several hours or overnight.
6. Roll out (but not too thin!), cut, and bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes. The secret to these cookies is to bake them until they are barely done. Take them out before they start turning golden brown. This way they will be nice and soft for a long time.
A Note from Robyn:
For frosting, I put a whole thing of softened cream cheese, 1/2 stick of softened margarine, a pinch of salt, a few drops of vanilla, and as much powdered sugar as it takes to get the consistency right.