Next Coupon Class

UPCOMING COUPON CLASS
Coming soon!
Let us know if you would like to attend our next class.
hiptoclip@gmail.com

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Toy Story Yahtzee Jr. Game Review

Every afternoon when I place my daughter down for a nap I sit and play a few games with my 3-year-old and 5-year-old. My boys LOVE playing games together and I LOVE the different skills that playing games teaches them. The most important skill that playing games teaches children is good sportsmanship. This is a vital life skill that is lacking in many children today. And yet it is so easy to help your child learn good sportsmanship by talking about it, practicing and playing cooperative games. Not only will playing board games help to practice good sportsmanship, but playing games can reinforce basic reading and math skills, as well as teach problem solving, strategy, and critical thinking skills.

With that being said, a number of people have asked me what games I play with my kids. We have A LOT of games. Some are simple, some are complex. Some are great skill builders, where others are just silly and fun.

Today I'm going to review Toy Story 3 Yahtzee Jr.  

My boys received this game for Christmas this past holiday. It was a filler item I threw in with a Toys R Us purchase to make my shipping free. I ended up getting the game for FREE because my total with the game came to less than it would have if I would have had to pay for shipping. Does that make sense? There are a number of Yahtzee Jr. games available. If you are not Toy Story fans you can easily find a version that appeals to you.

This game has become a favorite in our home. It's an easy concept for my 3-year-old to follow, but still entertains my 5-year-old (as well as myself).

Pros:
  • easy to learn
  • entertaining for all ages
  • time consistent (not like some games that can go on and on and on)
  • focuses on: counting, matching, addition, strategy and decision making
Cons:
  • noisy (when shaking dice in plastic cup)
  • have to put the sticker labels on dice before playing the first time
  • my version has a colorful background which makes it a little tricky to see who played where (I've noticed that some versions do have a muted or grey background which would be very helpful)
I give it 5 stars and would recommend adding a Yahtzee Jr. game to your family game collection.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I bought this game last year for our lodge...my grandson borrowed it, fell in love with it, and I bought ANOTHER one for the lodge...the kids love this game and it's a quick play with little ones. Great recommendation!

Related Posts with Thumbnails